LAIDLAW UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH AND LEADERSHIP SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
The Laidlaw Undergraduate Research and Leadership Scholarship, funded by the Laidlaw Foundation, aims to develop a new generation of leaders who are skilled researchers, embrace data-based decision making, and believe it is a moral imperative to lead with integrity. It invests in talented and motivated undergraduate students, giving them the knowledge, skills and experience to become active global citizens and future leaders in their chosen field.
We need a new generation of leaders who have the research brilliance to help solve intractable problems, who behave with integrity and are determined to make the world a better place.
Susanna V. Kempe, CEO
The Laidlaw Scholarship uniquely funds both undergraduate research and leadership development. It has four components to it:
- A 6-week summer research project of your choice;
- Leadership development training – a multi-day retreat supplemented by group work, exercises, dinners and other inspiring programme activities between your first and second Scholarship summers;
- A 6-week Leadership-in-Action experience in your second summer that enables you to put into practice the leadership expertise you have learnt theoretically in a new and challenging environment;
- Global networking through an online Scholars community platform: the Laidlaw Scholars Network.
5 REASONS TO BECOME A LAIDLAW SCHOLAR
1. CONDUCT YOUR OWN RESEARCH
Spend 6 weeks of your summer independently researching a topic you are passionate about, and contribute to solving one of the world’s intractable problems.
Conduct your very own in-depth investigation as an undergraduate, working with a leading academic and/or an experienced team, exploring primary data, developing your research skills, and honing your critical thinking.
2. DEVELOP YOUR LEADERSHIP SKILLS
Receive bespoke training to gain a clear understanding of your values, strengths and areas for growth, learn about leadership styles, improve your social and cultural intelligence, and much more.
Join in group work, cultural capital experiences, and ‘paying it forward’ activities to become a better #NextGen Leader.
3. BECOME A REAL-WORLD LEADER
During your second summer, you will apply learnt theoretical knowledge in real life by spending 6 weeks on an immersive Leadership-in-Action project.
This allows you to practise what you learnt about purpose, strategy, planning, execution, communication & influencing skills, teamwork, resilience and being a global citizen.
4. CONNECT WITH BRILLIANT MINDS
As a Laidlaw Scholar, you will become a part of an expert community of ambitious, brave, curious, determined and extraordinary peers from the most prestigious universities worldwide.
Our online community platform, the Laidlaw Scholars Network, enables you to publish your research, connect, collaborate, and help others succeed.
5. GET PAID
You could spend your summers working in a bar, a fast food chain or a faceless corporation; OR you could spend it researching something that will make a difference, becoming a better leader and an active global citizen.
As a Laidlaw Scholar, you will receive a generous living stipend over both summers of your scholarship.