WHO SHOULD APPLY; WHEN AND HOW
25 Laidlaw Scholars are selected at every participating University based on their leadership potential, academic excellence and ambition to succeed in their chosen field.
To apply for the Scholarship you must:
- Identify a research project in which you are interested. Many institutions also offer a list of topics which academics at the University have identified as suitable for them to supervise - visit your University’s information page or reach out to the programme administrator.
- Design your research project, following discussions with your chosen supervisor; your project can be original or related to research that is on-going in the University. If part of a larger research programme your project must be designed to make a specific contribution.
- Write a research proposal. Your proposal will be assessed by an internal reviewer for the quality of the candidate, project content, and proposed environment hosting the study.
- The research proposal should cover:
– The research question
– A summary of the project in clear terms which can be understood by a non-expert in the field
– The objectives of the research
– The outputs, outcomes and the impact you think the research could have
– Interdisciplinary aspects of the research project
– International dimension of the research if any
- Complete a personal statement explaining why you are applying, why you think you will make a great scholar, your leadership ambitions and career aspirations post university and how you would like to spend your leadership-in-action summer.
Outstanding students are shortlisted and interviewed by a panel who will assess both your proposed research and your leadership potential and ambition.
Eligibility varies according to the institution, but generally all undergraduate students in year 1 of a three year programme or year 2 of a four year programme are eligible to apply. There are no restrictions on discipline/department, college, nationality or fee status.
HOW TO APPLY
You must be an undergraduate at one of our partner universities in order to apply. Click on your University below to be directed to their Laidlaw Scholarship page and see their full application process.
We wish you the best of luck!