PASSIONATE ABOUT RESEARCH?
A Laidlaw Scholarship gives you the chance to pursue, in-depth, an area of interest with the support of an academic supervisor or as part of an experienced research team.
You will receive one-to-one mentoring from a specialist supervisor who will help you create a piece of work that is meaningful and academically robust. It will be your responsibility to manage and deliver the project. In the process, you will develop your research expertise, intellectual rigour, project management skills, critical thinking and ability to communicate conclusions clearly.
The research project will take place over one summer and last approximately six weeks. You will receive a generous living stipend over that time.
EXAMPLES OF PREVIOUS RESEARCH TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Families and food in hard times and the importance of qualitative data reuse
- Smart sclera screening of jaundiced newborns
- An investigation into the history and morphology of the Outer Hebridean Machair Grassland Environment
- Elliptical Fourier analysis of tumoroid morphology using high resolution episcopic microscopy
- From Folktales to Fiction: investigating the story-telling tradition of the Comoros
- To what extent does diet impact one’s immune profile?
- I Receive, I Give: an interdisciplinary research project on human flourishing
- Explaining the gender gap in mental health across adolescence
- Behavioural analysis to changes in environmental temperature: a step towards the personalisation of general thermal comfort models
- Revolutionary women in the indigenous revolt of 1783 Peru